Monday 28 August 2017

Checkatrade at the Checkatrade

I must admit that it had completely escaped my attention that Charlton were playing away in the Checkatrade Trophy at the Checkatrade Stadium, i.e., the home of Crawley Town, tomorrow night. If we fail to win this match after the victory over Rotherham it will be a devastating blow: not.

I am getting a little tired of these trophies named after brands I have never heard of, although no doubt the whole idea is to raise their profile. I don't think it does their reputation much good among football fans.

In all fairness to Karl Robinson he does get these occasions right by giving some match experience to young and fringe players and that is what I would expect to happen tomorrow night.

There may be quite a decent turnout from Sussex Addicks in order to see these players in action, but I don't expect to see them rending their shirts if Charlton lose.

Away fans are housed in the North Stand at one end of the ground. This covered terrace can accommodate 1,600, but rarely does. It does have a low roof, so if pitch announcer Brian Cole turns up we may make some noise.

Useless fact (provided by Chalfont St. Peter Addick Dick Shephard): '26 year old Aryan Tajbakhsh a Crawley Town midfielder has played for 24 clubs. Not a lot of people know that.' Thank you Dick.

Crawley offers a unique example of a Turkish owned club with the owner, a steel magnate, pumping in the Turkish lira: Keeping Crawley afloat

Don't expect any kebabs though. Pies come from local supplier The Real Pie Company. I'm not sure where the stadium is located in relation to the Gatwick flight paths, so a lack of action on the pitch may not be offset by opportunities for plane spotting.

Odds are: Crawley Town 21/10, Draw 9/4, Charlton 21/20.

My brother-in-law lives in Crawley and claims to know nothing about football, although I suspect he is a covert Palace supporter, which amounts to the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment