Karlan Ahearne-Grant does not want to go out on loan, but wants to play his part in the first team at Charlton this season. He rejects the idea that his early start in the first team hindered his development: Realising his potential
Thursday, 20 July 2017
Wednesday, 19 July 2017
The loan signing of Jay DaSilva from Chelsea is expected to be completed by the weekend. This has been in prospect for some time but was held up by DaSilva leading the England Under 19 side to victory in the European Championships: Deal near
He could appear in Saturday's friendly at Stevenage.
Karl Robinson thinks that the mood in the Charlton squad is good. He does not regret slamming them after the performance at Shrewsbury last year: Mentality switch
The buoyant supremo told Louis Mendez: 'We’ve spoken in the summer about a mentality switch, a ruthlessness about what we do, and caring. A lot of people, including myself, we let the football club and the fans down last season through some of our performances and where we finished in the league. That’s not down to the board above us or the fans in the stands, that’s us.'
Tuesday, 18 July 2017
Karl Robinson has said that he still has to make a lot of selection decisions for the seasons with only two players having secured their place. Even Naby Sarr may be brought back after an impressive performance last night at Dover Athletic: Selection revelation
Robinson has also said that he is a big fan of Karlan Ahearne-Grant and wants him to stay at Charlton. He points out that Ahearne-Grant can play in any forward position, he just needs to shoot more: Second chance
Robinson hopes to bring in four more players. He emphasised that Tex is now off his wage bill with Charlton entirely separate from the mother ship.
Robinson says that Gillingham's Josh Wright is a player he very much likes, but is unlikely to sign him as he is well supplied with central midfielders: Josh Wright
Charlton won 2-0 at Dover with Jake Forster-Caskey one of the scorers along with Reeco Hackett-Fairchild: Fourth victory
It looks as if Cristian Ceballos is going to be beamed back up to the mother ship this week: Ticket on Eurostar
Richard Cawley tweeted on Thursday morning that Ceballos will make a permanent return to Sint Truiden.
Some fans think he has looked up for it since his return, but I doubt whether he has that much to offer.
However, one fan pointed out: 'I watched all 3 of our knackered games in a row from Ireland, but thought that Cebalos did well, and he was also impressive on Saturday by all accounts. While there initially appeared to be good progress in building our squad, I am tentative that a Cebalos departure would suddenly see us 3 bodies down after Tex & Ajose, and all 3 offer some quality at League One level.'
The person we really need to see go is Naby Sarr who is expensive and offers nothing at this level. We also have to remember that Lookman gave the team something special last year and he has not been replaced.
Monday, 17 July 2017
With only one keeper on their books, Charlton are expressing an interest in Aston Villa's Jed Steer. Last season was wiped out for him by an Achilles injury, but a candidate for the treatment table always goes down well at Sparrows Lane: Jed Steer
The 24-year old began his career at his hometown club Norwich City: Career details
One fan has commented on Twitter, 'cheap as chips'.
Charlton left back Aaron Barnes thinks there is a really good feel about this season. In his view the intensive pre-season, which has seen Karl Robinson challenge the record for the number of pre-season matches, will lead to promotion: Promotion hopes
Barnes said, 'The manager came in and he really wanted to change the philosophy and ethos of the club – to have a more positive environment and players who want to play for the club. I think we’re getting that now; we’re really working hard. That can only mean one thing – hopefully good results throughout the season.'
One sceptical fan tweeted, 'What else are they going to say?'
Sunday, 16 July 2017
The Addicks retained the Crown Berger Cup with a convincing 3-0 win at Park View Road yesterday.
Charlton went ahead after 25 minutes when impressive trialist Cameron Stewart's deep cross found Jason Pearce and he finished well from close range. Dillon Phillips then made a great block with his legs to keep out a shot from Goldberg.
Charlton made Welling pay four minutes from the break when Stuart crossed to Patrick Bauer. Although Chris Lewington made a spectacular save from his initial effort, the centre back followed up with a strong header.
The second half was quieter with multiple substitutions but Charlton added a third when Mikhail Kennedy finished in style with four minutes left.
The game ended with the customary pitch invasion and, according to a photo on Twitter, a naked streaker ran through the sprinkler system after the ground had emptied.
In the second match of the day Charlton secured a 4-0 win over Greenwich Borough with Cristian Cellabos, returning after a year on loan at Sint Truiden, finding the back of the net: Comfortable win
Karl Robinson is talking to the 26-year old Cameron Stewart about his future: Sitting down for a chat
Jorge Teixeira has joined Sint Truiden on a three year deal. Karl Robinson reckons that his departure to the mother ship marks a new start at the club, offering fans a more evenly balanced side: Why Tex left
Robinson refused to be drawn on the player's salary, rumoured to be £12k a week. Incidentally, it appears that we are paying a big slice of Ajose's salary at the cash strapped Shakers.
Karl Robinson has yet to decide whether Naby Sarr or Cristian Ceballos will remain at The Valley after the summer, but in the meantime has asked them to behave in a professional manner and show him respect: Boss torn on future of duo
However, the Charlton boss emphasised that if they left they would have to be replaced by better. Not too difficult surely?
Saturday, 15 July 2017
Charlton acted like a big club in giving a new contract to Ricky Holmes says supremo Karl Robinson: Walking the walk
The decision is presented in the article is presented as a change of approach by Roland Duchatelet compared with the treatment of fan favourite Yann Kermogant. It will be interesting to see what leading vinegar pissers make of this claim.
Robinson said that the club needed a structure, having lacked one in the past. If you have a structure, you get good days and bad days.
Friday, 14 July 2017
Former Addick Shaun Newton has been convicted of burglary. He explained that it was in pursuit of what he thought was a 'treasure hunt' as part of his 40th birthday celebrations which went on for a year. He had not slept for two days when the incident occurred: Treasure hunt
His defending counsel said that he had lost his way since leaving football and was living a hand-to-mouth existence.
He was sentenced to 100 hours community service.
The Football League is to revisit its fit and proper persons tests. The specific stimulus appears to be events at Leyton Orient, but protests at Charlton are referred to in this report: Fit and proper?
In particular, the Football League is considering looking at what happens after a club is purchased.
Of course, it might be difficult to devise a test to deal with an obdurate eccentric who wasted his own money. Ideally, one would like to see chief executives to have relevant experience.
Thursday, 13 July 2017
Johnnie Jackson (puzzlingly headlined as a 'former Spurs midfielder') has admitted that Charlton were 'off the pace' in their 4-1 defeat by University College Dublin on Wednesday: Off the pace
Karl Robinson explained the defeats in Ireland in terms of the team's 'hectic' travel schedule: Why we lost
This season we will be launching a new match day award, an idea borrowed from Four Four Two: The Alan Pardew Award for Half Baked Excuses.
According to reports we are competing with MK Dons for the signature of Leeds striker Lee Irwin who has been let go on a free. I didn't think we were short of strikers.
Wednesday, 12 July 2017
Charlton author Paul Breen has a way with words and it is apparent in his atmospheric report of Charlton's opening match in Ireland, sent by the magic of wireless telegraphy to VOTV's offices on the Isle of Thanet: And the craic was good
Rick Everitt reminds us that preparations are being made for the first VOTV of the season and that it is possible to take out an annual subscription.
Monday, 10 July 2017
Friday, 7 July 2017
Millwall look set to sell more season tickets than Charlton for the first time in over 20 years setting them on their way to their own target 10,000. By the end of June, the Addicks had sold 4,730 season tickets, but some of those were comps: Outsold
Steve Kavanagh is, of course, a former Charlton chief executive.
There is no disclosure of how much Katrien Meire gets paid as chief executive and the CAS Trust has been pursuing the matter. Leaving aside the desirability of transparency, it is not clear whether the club's practices are compliant with UK law, although they may have found a loophole: Salary
Wednesday, 5 July 2017
Greenwich Council has shot down reports that The Valley could be redeveloped for housing after a report commissioned by the club surfaced: No cause for concern
VOTV editor Rick Everitt has tweeted that Greenwich Council would be better off asking why the report was commissioned in the first place, but no doubt the Council would say that was outside their remit (and would require too much effort on their part).
I have always been sceptical of these property play rumours because of access issues.
Sunday, 2 July 2017
As Charlton search for a keeper, they have been linked with 33-year old Anders Lindegaard who has been released by Preston North End: Lindegaard
Career details for the one time Danish international here: Career
However, the possibility of signing David Martin from MK Dons may provide too big a temptation for Karl Robinson.